The purpose of the COVID Community Roots Program is to provide support for the populations made most vulnerable by the COVID-19 crisis. Through grants up to a maximum of $5,000, Alberta Blue Cross ®, Alberta Recreation and Parks Association and Communities ChooseWell are partnering to support the social, mental, emotional and physical well-being of vulnerable populations in rural, remote and secondary communities across Alberta.
This grant is specifically for communities outside Edmonton, Calgary and Red Deer and supports grassroots initiatives. Grassroots initiatives are created for the community by community members and seek additional support.
Organizations* eligible to apply include
- non-profit organizations,
- municipalities, and
- First Nations communities or Métis Settlements
*Unregistered organizations should apply with a sponsor organization who can attest to the applicant’s credibility in the community.
Eligible initiatives must address the mental, physical, social or emotional well-being of those most affected by COVID-19. Services can align with one of the following funding priorities:
- Help people maintain independence, build resiliency and strengthen people’s ability to maintain healthy habits.
- Provide alternative support to help sustain active living for members in the community such as online supports.
- Provide additional support to sustain programing by protecting volunteers and employees with personal protection equipment or adding social distancing safeguards.
- Support organizations to deliver projects for vulnerable Albertans who are in need.
- Coordinate services and programs to address the well-being of vulnerable Albertans.
Filling out your application
Examples of expenses could include
- project materials and supplies,
- elder honorariums,
- administration costs,
- enhancements to existing programs or activities, and
- new programs, projects, or activities.
Ineligible expenses include
- direct funding for shelter,
- hospital or medical related services,
- capital projects, and
- cost to sustain an organization outside of the initiative in question.
Successful applicants will need to sign an agreement and complete a template report at the end of the grant term. This report must demonstrate that activities were completed and monies spent as described in the agreement.
COVID Community Roots Program application form