Filing your taxes?
As some medical expenses, such as plan premiums, may be eligible as a tax deduction, here’s how to check what was paid by your plan and find receipts to help you prepare for tax season.
How to check the total amount of claims you’ve submitted
If you’re on an employer-sponsored group plan, have an individual health plan or are on certain government-sponsored plans (Group 1 or 66), you can check the total amount of claims you’ve submitted for the previous year. The unpaid balances for most health and dental expenses can be claimed as a medical deduction on your income taxes, providing you meet the overall threshold required. You can confirm what exactly is eligible by checking the medical deduction section of the Canada Revenue website.
- Sign in to the member site ab.bluecross.ca.
- In the menu at the top of the page, click Your claims.
- Choose Claim totals report from the drop-down menu.
- To view a report of your of health and dental claims,
- enter a time period,
- select all or a specific individual,
- choose whether you want to see all claim details or none, and
- click the Submit button.
- You will then see a report listing the total amount of claims that were submitted by you and assessed by Alberta Blue Cross during the time period you requested.
How to get a tax receipt for premiums paid
If you have an individual health plan, you can also get a tax receipt for premiums paid. Premiums paid for health and dental benefits may be claimed as a deduction for income tax purposes if you meet the overall threshold for medical expenses to be claimed.
- Sign in the member site ab.bluecross.ca.
- Click on Your profile.
- Select Receipt of payments from the drop-down menu.
- Enter the desired date range in the From and To fields.
- Click Print receipt.
If you are on an employer plan, the portion you paid for health and dental premiums may be eligible as a deduction for income tax purposes if you meet the overall threshold for medical expenses to be claimed. As your premiums are taken from your payroll deductions, you can use your last paystub of the year as proof of your deductions.
Still need help?
For assistance, please contact our Customer Service team toll free at 1 800 661 6995. Our office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Mountain Time) Monday through Friday.