How to submit a claim
In the event of illness or injury
- Contact travel assistance services before you begin treatment. Failure to do so may invalidate the claim. Travel assistance numbers can be found on your Alberta Blue Cross® ID card and above.
- Complete a travel claim form: Emergency Out of Province/Out of Country Claim form.
- Complete the Travel Insurance Claim form and the Government of Alberta Insurance Claim Consent Authorization form.
- Submit receipts, statements and completed forms to Alberta Blue Cross® at
- Alberta Blue Cross®
- Travel Claims Department
- PO BOX 3888, Station B
- Montreal (Quebec) H3B 3L7
Claims must be received by Alberta Blue Cross® within 12 months of the date of service.
When submitting claims to Alberta Blue Cross®, you must always include the following:
- Diagnosis and details of services rendered.
- Original invoice and other supporting receipts. (Invoice is a detailed list of services provided).
- Patient's travel ID number.
- Patient's Alberta Personal Health number.
- Patient's Alberta Blue Cross® coverage number, if a member.
- Details of other health or travel insurance plans the patient may have.
- Name and phone number of patient's Canadian physician.
The covered person's Canadian physician will be contacted by Alberta Blue Cross® in order to verify eligibility.
If a hospital or medical provider does not accept confirmation of payment from the travel assistance service or Alberta Blue Cross®, the member/agreement holder or patient will be responsible for payment of any expenses incurred. To receive reimbursement for eligible expenses, the member/agreement holder or patient must obtain itemized receipts, or other reasonable evidence, for all services provided and all expenses paid by them.